Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Social Studies Texts: Scrambled States of America

For my Social Studies text recommendations this week, I have two books for you: The Scrambled States of America and The Scrambled States of America Talent Show.

Both of these books are super cute and would be a great introduction to learning the states or looking into the different regions.  The Scrambled States of America is such a cute story.  Some of the states are feeling happy with their location so they decide to throw a party and all get together. The states mingle, have a good time, and some of them to decide to start switching places.  After trying out new locations, they all find they are more unhappy and go home.  It is a great story to infer information about the different climates and and regions of the country.  I would follow this up by having students do a RAFT writing activity from the point of view of a state.  I would probably have them do some research on a state and then write from that state's point of view.  I might even make a little grid menu of writing/project ideas to go with this book to share with you later. 


In the Scrambled States of America Talent Show, the different states decide to have a talent show and all the states perform different songs and dances.  I would read this book with the first one just because it is cute. I would probably follow up this book by having students research cultural aspects of the different states and regions.  See what types of music and foods are in different parts of the country.


5 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I am teaching American history this year so this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!
    Leah
    Learning 4 Keeps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I teach 4th grade regions and this is a fun idea!!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scholastic made a very cute animated DVD of this book. It is adorable!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower! Just found you via Toris Teacher Tips.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey April... sorry this is so late but your tips are up...hope you have a chance to check them out! You have some nice comments on my page too! :)
    Thanks again for helping me out!
    Tori
    Tori's Teacher Tips

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover