Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Must Have Picture Books and Winners

So lots of bloggers have been linking up with Lindsey to share their favorite picture books.  I haven't taught with picture books as much as some of you, but I do have some favorites.

1) Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mo Willems:  I found this book through Writing Fix.  It is about a little boy who makes friends with an elderly lady who has lost her memory.  It is a very sweet story and great for inferencing.

2) Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco: I have blogged about this book before, but I love it!  It is about a class who has an amazing teacher who makes them feel special when they rest of the school thinks of them as misfits.


3) The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume:  This book is about how a brother and sister view each other.  Very cute.

4) First Day Jitters:  I know many of you also love this book, but it is a great story with a fun little twist.

5) A Base Case of the Stripes:  This is one I like reading multiple times.  I enjoy using this story to teach plot.

I look forward to reading about every else's favorite picture books. Funny story - I was trying to describe to my husband the picture book display idea where you use gutters.

(Source: Pinterest)

He was very confused.  He had no idea why you would want the books to face forward.  His response was: "what's a picture book?"  In his mind, all children's books are children's books.  I guess he makes no distinction between picture books, juvenile chapter books, and young adult novels. I promise he has seen a picture book before.  Apparently, he just never realized they had a separate name. Maybe if I had described the shelves as a place to display video game covers?

And I also wanted to announce the winners of my writing giveaway.  They have all 3 earned credit to my TpT store for writing or word wall products. (I got the super cute gift certificate idea from the 3am teacher.) I will be emailing them shortly.  Be on the lookout. My 300 follower giveaway is also in the works.



7 comments:

  1. Great book choices!! I love First Day Jitters!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listed the Junkyard Wonders, too! Love that book.

    The Dalton Gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love SO many of the books that you listed!!! "A Bad Case of Stripes" will always be in my top 5 no matter what! :)

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books - have used most of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love Wilfred Gorden! It always makes me cry!
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover