Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dealing with Divas Linky


I know today is Thursday, which means I am scheduled to share a Science text with you.  I will.  I promise.

But, this morning I found myself thinking about what were some of my greatest challenges as a teacher.  Sure – the answer to that question seems simple.  Maybe testing, stress, parents, being overwhelmed, classroom management, etc.  Many things about teaching are stressful. I think focusing on the positives and building a sense of classroom community is always helpful. 

Anyway, I found myself thinking about some of those difficult students and parents who just made my day more difficult.  What did they often have in common?  Divas. 

So my question for you is: how do you deal with the diva?  You know – that overly dramatic…everything is a crisis…nothing is ever my fault student.   That diva can be male or female – maybe even a parent, fellow teacher, or administrator.  We all have known a few diva teachers, too.  You know you have. 

Teaching fifth grade, my famous saying became “you’ll survive.”  It’s probably not the most compassionate phrase, but the point was to remind some students they weren’t dying or bleeding or in immediate danger.  There is also the student who has to go to the bathroom every five minutes or every time you start to teach something.  And they have to announce it in the most over the top, please turn around and look at me way. I had one student who something was broken every day.  One day he announced his liver was broken.  His mom got tired of him calling with all his ailments.  At the same time, you don’t want to deny a student the ability to go to the nurse or call home when something really is wrong.  What advice do you have for fellow teachers to know when something really is an emergency?  How do you deal with the diva?  Link up and let me know.  The best piece of advice will win something from me.  I probably should be thinking of a better method than “you’ll survive.”
(Graphics from Melonheads, Print Candee, and Surfin' Through Second.)


And the winner of my teacher binder covers, dividers, and calendars is Tammy.  I'll be emailing you.

3 comments:

  1. for you* 5th grade teachers... woops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know what happened to my post lol.... but that was supposed to say...

      I'm a first grade teacher and I also say "you'll survive" all the time. We spend a lotttt of time going over when it is appropriate to come to a teacher for something and when things can be handled by themselves. The younger they learn it the better (especially for you 5th grade teachers)!

      I just found your blog and I love the name :)

      Susan
      T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

      Delete
  2. Great linky party!! I agree with what Susan said. I don't like to coddle the divas. You have to have a no-nonsense attitude when it comes to students like that. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover