Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Teachers also should begin with the end in mind

I sit and think about all the things written down in my to-do-list in my Erin Condren life planner.  The lists never end.  As we begin to settle into a routine, I find myself wanting to finally try to get a little ahead in my planning for once. 

We are going to begin discussing habit 2 of the 7 habits: Begin with the end in mind. I remembered tonight that I, too, need to begin with the end in mind.  It is a constant battle to not get so bogged in the details that we forget the goals.  Why did I become a teacher in the first place?  Why did I want to have a small class again?  Is this really about the content we learn and the activities we complete? 

Do I really remember what my teachers taught me?  No, I remember the teachers who took the time to show they cared.  So tonight I reminded myself to slow down and think more about how I can show my students that I care.  How can I spend more time listening and less time worried about grading and planning?  As routines settle and my students become more independent, my goal is to build in more conferencing.  I feel the one-on-one conversations with my students as readers, writers, and math students will also afford me more opportunities to get to know them as people. 

I feel the need on a regular basis to remind myself to show them I value their thoughts and feelings.  I am considering that a morning meeting routine may also be a good idea.  I'm not really sure what people discuss in classroom morning meetings.  Do you discuss goals for the day?  Do you discuss what has been going well and what could go better?  What about things you are thankful for?  In the month of November, I really want to keep a gratitude journal with my students.  I am thinking maybe we will start morning meetings next week.  Any suggestions?  How do you show your students that you care about who they are as people?  How do you begin with the end in mind?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post. It's a perfect reminder and something that I've been thinking about lately too!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover