Friday, October 18, 2013

Goodbye What Not to Wear

I was going to blog hours ago, but I got caught up watching the Series Finale of What Not to Wear.  It was strange to me when they announced this last season to realize it was the tenth season.  It dawned on me that I started watching the show right when I got married and now have been watching the show for my entire marriage.

I got married right before I turned 20 and in January I will have been married for 10 years.  In February I will turn 30.  It seems strange to think of this era ending that has been my twenties and the first decade of my marriage. Watching What Not to Wear on Friday nights has been a part of this era.

I am far from being a fashionista.  I am a simple, low maintenance kind of person. I am wash and go when it comes to hair. I do not wear makeup unless professional pictures are involved. The only two accessories I wear regularly are my wedding ring and my college ring. One of the things I have always enjoyed about the show though is watching the women be tranformed.  It is so fun to watch the insecurities be shed and their confidence blossom by the end of the show.

As teachers, we get to observe much of the same process.  It just often takes a little longer.  It is so rewarding though to look back at the end of the year and see the growth your students have made.  I love watching that shy student who never said a word eagerly participate in class discussion or that reluctant reader get excited about a book.  There also is that child that just absolutely struggled with Math, and it finally starts to click.

I know I am struggling with finding the time to fit everything in that I want to accomplish each week for home, work, life, workouts, spiritual growth, and graduate school. I find I often need reminders that it really is less about the lesson plans, the tests, and the cute activities. It is not even just about the learning. Teaching is about the transformation.  I became a teacher so I could help students learn to really see themselves and accept their own strengths and weaknesses.  We as teachers have the ability to be mirrors and catalysts of transformation.  I need to worry so much less about checking off every item on my to-do-list and trying to cram in every fun idea I think of. I always have ideas because I am an analytical over-achiever. However, I need to focus more on choosing activities that will really encourage growth, reflection, and metacognition.  How can you encourage transformation in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought about it, but you are right...we do get to watch the same process as Stacy and Clinton. Interesting to make that connection. I was also watching the series finale and thought it was great. I really liked the episode before when they went through all of their favorites and not so favorite makeovers. That was a nice little behind the scenes glimpse at the show and a great way to end it all.

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover