Monday, April 8, 2013

Mentor Text for Metaphor: Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties' Mentor Text Linky.


April is National Poetry Month, so I love incorporating poetry and figurative language.  We just started a Mystery Unit, so I may push more of our poetry for May or the end of April.  (We did some poetry in February and March.) My favorite site for Mentor Text lessons is www.writingfix.com. All of their lessons are fabulous and can be used to incorporate reading strategies as well.

One of the lessons from this site I have enjoyed most was for metaphors. Click to pull up the lesson here. The lesson uses the mentor text Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox. 

This book really lends itself to not just discussion of metaphor, but the idea of extended metaphor. The story is very sweet and would also be great for discussing theme. After reading the book, students write a four metaphor poem.  To accompany this book I would also have my students read the poem "Hope" by Emily Dickinson.  It would flow well with the topic of extended metaphor.

I am also going to link up with Sabra at Teaching with a Touch of Twang for her Monthly Market linky that focuses on Poetry.


What is your favorite Writing Fix lesson or poetry mentor text?

I also am trying to get back to blogging at my personal blog "Balancing the Backpack" as I work toward better balance spiritually, mentally, and physically.  I will be focusing a lot on what exercises I am doing, what I am eating, and what I am thankful for. Stop by if you also are working on balance. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I love that book, my mother-in-law got it for me when I first started teaching and the kids adore it! For some reason my computer does not like other blogger's email buttons, lol, if you would like a free copy of my April Writing Prompt Calendar please email me at swilliams214@yahoo.com

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge!! I have never heard of this website! I will have to check it out!!

    Thanks so much for linking up!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover