Thursday, April 11, 2013

Common Core in the Content Areas: You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer

Common Core in the Content Areas

On Thursdays, I would like to start offering ideas for the Content Areas (Science and Social Studies) to incorporate the Common Core Standards.

These might be reading ideas, writing ideas, or even Math ideas.  Initially, I will probably focus on text suggestions.  With the Common Core Reading Standards placing so much emphasis on Informational Text I have tried to incorporate a lot more nonfiction into my read alouds this year.

I enjoy searching the library for nonfiction on topics we are exploring in Science and Social Studies.  I try to always distinguish between which texts seem like they would be great for a project and which ones seem like they would read well aloud.

In Social Studies, we are studying Westward Expansionism.  This week we read You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer by Jacqueline Morley.  If you have not read any of the "You Wouldn't Want to Be" books, you are missing out.  They are packed full of information on different history topics, are engaging to read, and the illustrations are funny. The kids always love these books and remember all of the details very well.
You can easily cover the Common Core Standards with this book.  You could discuss the main ideas and details, text structure, and/or the author's claim with evidence. You could discuss how the illustrations aid their understanding.  For writing, you could have your students write an informational piece about the hardships of moving west. They could write a persuasive piece on reasons why should move west or reasons not to move west.  They also could create a little persuasive brochure or poster for this same purpose. You could also have them write a narrative about the daily life of moving west. We discussed the book in depth and then I gave them questions to answer at the end. You can get a copy of the questions here.
For each text suggestion I give for the Content Areas, I am going to give you a freebie to go with the book.  I may also try and create some mini-units to go with the books to put in my TpT store. 

I hope you will consider linking up your own posts on how you incorporate the Common Core Standards in your Content Areas. I look forward to this being a weekly series.



1 comment:

  1. I will definitely link up at some point!! Love integration with all my heart! :) Make sure to check out my blog- I have a few posts on Westward Expansion activities. :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover