Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How to write a paragraph with Common Core?

I created Writing Graphic Organizers for the Common Core Standards for Grades 3-5.  I know they are great.  The only problem is that my students are not ready for them yet.  We are still struggling with writing a solid paragraph. 

Thus, I woke up early this morning and started working on some graphic organizers for the grades 1 and 2 standards.  We will start easier and work our way up.  I started with the basic "hamburger" graphic organizer.  I like this better than the web because they can see the idea of an opening and closing to the paragraph.  I created 2 types of organizers and then created various versions for different kinds of writing.  I also created a version with RAFT (Role, Audience, Format, Topic) because I find this writing stategy to be absolutely amazing.

I am finishing up some rubrics and student checklists to accompany the organizers before uploading them to my TpT store.  Be on the lookout in the next couple days. In the meantime, here is a freebie that shows the basic template for the two organizers. 


I have changed up the details based on the types of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover