Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness Week Freebies

This is Random Acts of Kindness Week.  Check out http://www.randomactsofkindness.org for ideas.  I don't know about you, but it feels like my classroom needs more kindness.  Sometimes kids are just not very kind.  I am working on my own responses and reinforcement because I know I get frustrated sometimes when my students are unkind or rude.  I want to have us make a 100 Acts of Kindness Wall for Valentines and the 100th Day of School.  We just might try to do it by end of February instead of by Friday. We brainstormed ideas for random acts of kindness in our journal writing today.

Today we listed to Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch on Storyline Online.

 

I first heard about this book from Laura Candler.  You can download her Heartfelt Causes and Effects for free.  We discussed Cause and Effect in the Story.  Then my students had to choose a theme for the book and explain why it was the theme. We are also working on writing (typing) paragraphs with evidence and following directions.  We discussed how the theme could be friendship, acceptance, love, and compassion.




I found a ton of great kindness freebies on TpT.  I pinned a bunch of stuff on my Teaching Character and Leadership Pinboard. How do you encourage kindness in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. I am absolutely in LOVE with your 100 Acts of Kindness idea for your 100th day! What a great way to celebrate AND do something kind for others.

    I'm so glad you shared this :)

    XO, Kelly Anne
    AppleSlices

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ideas here! Such smart integration between behavior and curriculum. I think you also hit the nail on the head as far as watching your own display of attitude. I've noticed myself that when I get frustrated easily, so do my students. And when I show patience, it "leaks" out into others' interactions.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover