Friday, October 25, 2013

Five for Friday: Bats and Point of View

This week my students have been studying Point of View and Bats.  I am going to link up with 5 for Friday to show you what we have been up to.





I found this great little Point of View freebie pack from Chrissy at Buzzing with Ms. B. I hung up her Point of View posters in my room.  We used them to discuss first person, second person, third person limited, and third person omniscient point of view.  (Sorry about the glare. I really need a better phone camera than my iPhone 4.) We also did the point of view sort from this pack and glued them in our notebooks for examples.

 photo null_zps319a8b40.jpg

We made this little flapbook for our notebooks.  You can get a free copy of the Point of View flapbook here.


 photo null_zps0b849732.jpg


We have been reading about bats, so we read Stellaluna. As we were reading we stopped to discuss what point of view it was written in and how we knew.  We also discussed how point of view can also mean the way we understand the world.  We discussed how different things shape our point of view. We talked about how the narrator's and the author's point of view can be different.

After we read the story, my students had to write a quick write from the point of view of Stellaluna in first person.  We discussed how she would have felt at different points of the story based on her limited experiences. My students all bring their own laptop to school, so they typed their quick writes.

 photo null_zps1eb593c2.jpg

We even talked about how the baby bird and mama bird's point of view would have been different. I wanted to follow it up the next day by having everyone write from the point of view of one of the baby birds, but we ran out of time.


We wrote cinquains about bats this week and wrote them on a bat template.

 photo null_zpsb258a5c7.jpg
 photo null_zpsa2c0e0f5.jpg


This week we practiced our nonfiction skills reading about bats. We started out doing some online research about bats, where my students recorded details and then wrote a paragraph. I also grabbed a stack of nonfiction books on bats at the library. My students read the books all week and recorded main ideas and details about what they read.  They also listed questions they had about bats and looked for the answers they read.  We used activities from my Bats Research and Writing Unit all week.  It is on sale 50% off all weekend. Do you have any favorite activities for studying bats? My kids are excited about studying spiders next week while I will be gone at the iNACOL conference.

 
 
On a random note, here was one of lunches this week. I took Chicken and Corn Chowder, cheese and crackers, and an apple.
 
 photo null_zpsa482c487.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I love Stellaluna! It is one of my favourite storybooks, there is so much you can do with it, apart from that it is written by an fellow Aussie and I have lived in the parts of Australia where fruit bats are an everyday occurence, it always takes me back to living in the tropics. Great unit!

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read Stellaluna, but I may have to try this point of view activity!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover