Monday, April 9, 2012

Writing Inspiration - Friendship

I thought that this week friendship would be a good topic for writing inspiration.  As we get closer to the end of the year, sometimes kids and even us as adults need reminders of the value of friendship and treating each other well. 

Quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
This quote would be a great way to prompt a conversation on the importance of friendship, how we like to be treated as a friend, and how we can be a better friend.  I would probably make a 2-column chart as a class with an anchor chart and individual ones. 


Picture on Friendship
Here is a picture from my calendar. I liked this picture and saying on friendship. I would ask students to consider how friendship is like a garden.  This would be a great opportunity to review simile.
You could have students write their own similes comparing friendship to something.  You could have them illustrate the idea of friendship as a garden.


Poem by Ken Nesbitt: "I taught my cat to clean my room."
I liked this poem because it is funny, but also it would be an entertaining way to discuss how animals can also be our friend.  It could also lead to a discussion on how we as friends can do things for each other.

If you are looking for resources to help your students analyze poetry, check out my packet at my TpT store on analyzing poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover