Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Inspiration: Spring

We have had crazy weather. It does not know if it wants to be winter or spring. Today is a beautiful day and I am thankful for it. I feel inspired by Spring.
Picture: A Baby Chick



http://pinterest.com/pin/44754590017055386/
I liked this picture because the chick looks cautious to me. He appears to be pondering his options and deciding if he should venture forth. You could ask your students what he/she might be thinking. Where is the mama or siblings? How would a baby chick see the world? How does this picture inspire you?

Poem: "Spring" by Karla Kuskin
I love the enthusiasm of this poem. The tone is happy, joyful, and full of new beginnings. That, to me, is the essence of Spring. I would ask my students to draw how this poem makes them feel. This would be a wonderful text to discuss tone. Describe what they visualize and how this inspires them. What would their own poem about Spring look like. This poem also has rhyme, but not a definitive rhyme scheme. You could discuss why the lines are broken up where they are. Why does the poet choose those moments to be pauses?

Quote: Self Respect
You can download a copy of the quote for free at my TpT store.

What is the importance of self respect and how do we find it?

Many of you are on Spring Break. I hope it is restful and full of joy and great weather. I would love to hear how many of you inspire your students.

~April

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover