Monday, January 28, 2013

Fractured Fairy Tales - Freebie Story Map

Our 4th Grade ELA curriculum references a lot of fairy tales, so I decided to pull in some fractured fairy tales.  If you have never taught Fractured Fairy Tales, it is a fabulous way to cover almost all of the Common Core Reading Literature Standards.  You can easily explore setting, characters, theme, imagery, point-of-view, visual elements, and even different text structures if you look at movie versions, poetry versions, and/or dramatic versions of fairy tales.

Here are three examples of some cute Fractured Fairy Tales from different points of view:

Source: parenting.com via April on Pinterest

I am currently in the middle of making a Fractured Fairy Tale unit, but I thought I would share some web resources with you. Read Write Think has an interactive tool for students to plan and write their own Fractured Fairy Tale.  They also have lots of lesson ideas for Fractured Fairy Tales.  Here is a book list they have created with text suggestions. Scholastic has a tool where students can publish their Fractured Fairy Tales after they have written them, and students can find out info about John Scieszka (author of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs.)

Here is a website where you can get text suggestions of Fractured Fairy Tales.  Here is a website where you can original versions of fairy tales.

Last but not least is a quick freebie from my unit I am making.  It is a Fairy Tale Story Map.  I am going to have my students read an original version of a fairy tale, a fractured version with a different setting, and then a fractured version from a different point of view.  They will fill out this story map for all three versions. 

Then, we will compare and contrast the three versions.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the Goldilocks and Cinderella stories before and thought they looked interesting... now I will definitely be ordering them! Thanks so much for sharing all those awesome resources! I will definitely be keeping my eye out for your Fractured Farly Tale unit!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently in the middle of making a Fractured Fairy Tale unit, but I thought I would share some web resources with you. Read Write Think ... fairytailbackpack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover